Friday, March 9, 2007

Background on Lake Charles, LA.

In a few hours my SuperShuttle will pull up to the curb and whisk me away on a spring break adventure to Lake Charles, Louisiana, for a week of community service and post hurricane reconstruction. I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go, my "Alternative Spring Break" t-shirt is laid out on my bed, ready to be put on.

I'll be in Lake Charles for a week, and will be heavily documenting the experience for my blog coverage, as well as for the Foghorn (the college newspaper of the University of San Francisco).

I've been doing some preliminary investigating, here is some basic background information on the area:

Lake Charles is in south western Louisiana, it has a population of about 70,000 and a 50%/50% African American/White mix with other Race's representing 1% or less of the population. The median household income is about $30,000, and nearly 15% of families are a single mother household. Per capita income is $17,000 and 20% of the population live below the poverty line.
Louisiana has the third lowest per capita income of any State in the US. In contrast, San Francisco's per capita income is $35,000, and we have one of the highest rates of homelessness in the country, suggesting that those who are working are earning even significantly more.

To keep its economy afloat, Lake Charles relies on the petro-chemical companies Citgo, ConocoPhillips, and PPG Industries, as well a thriving tourist trade related to legal gambling.

As I do some background research on the area, a picture of a very stereotypical southern town develops in my mind, and I can also understand why these people need my help. Before the hurricane, many people here were just-getting-by, now that it has ripped their town and their lives apart, they have nothing, no money and no support, to help them rebuild and get back on their feet. I hope the work we do with the United Way this spring break makes a real difference in the quality of life of the people in Lake Charles. We're about to find out how much good 300 college students can do!

Note: I don't know how much of a technology black hole Lake Charles is, I may not be able to post many pictures, or much of anything until I get to San Francisco next Saturday.

No comments: