Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Experimenting with Atlas

Atlas is a program that allows users to add maps to their blog or other online content, with custom locations plotted. Web sites like Yelp.com, and Google Maps use similar interactive maps to plot restaurants, and other points of interest to the user.

I will use Atlas to pinpoint the location of things I blog about here at The Bicycle Diary.


My first experiment was to plot the location of my office at the San Francisco Foghorn newspaper, where I work as the Editor of Photography and Graphics. I spend a lot of hours in the Foghorn office; last night I there all night working toward our weekly production deadline of Tuesday morning. I slept on the office couch for a few hours between when I ran out of gas around 3:30 and when Starbucks opened at 5:30.


Today while wrapping up the details of the paper the mail came, and one letter was hand addressed to us with no return address or other markings except a post office stamp indicating it had passed through up-state New York. Inside was a piece of lined paper and this business card:

I don't know what the point is, but someone took the time and effot to mail it.

No comments: