Thursday, February 15, 2007

New Lenses

The Foghorn got a new photography lens this week and today was my first time using it. It's incredible. I have watched our photo department grow over the past years. It was only a few years before I arrived on the scene that they made the leap to digital photography. We had a brand new Sony model when I started working there as a staff photographer, it wasn't an SLR (Single Lens Reflex) one with interchangeable lenses, but a point and shoot model as the terminology goes. Then we got a new Canon Rebel two years ago and this baby is sweet! It focused so fast and was an SLR. We only had the stock lens, which is a really basic one which is only good for short range well lit shots. Then the Chronicle loaned us a 300mm 2.8f lens which is incredible, heavy and costs a few thousand dollars new. The pictures it takes are amazing. Our latest purchase is a 1.8f 85mm lens which is also sweet. I shot a women's basketball game tonight and it was a challenge to get use to the new lens; it has the shallowest depth of field of any lens I have ever used (which means you need to focus right on your subject perfectly or they will be blurry, no simple task when the players are running around at top speed). Check out a sample picture from the game, and also my photo of the lens its self.

What will be buy next? Well budget proposals for the fall are due soon and I have a couple things in mind...

No comments: